|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|This article may require cleanup to meet Brock911's quality standards. Please improve this article.|
This article has been assessed as havingUnknown importance.
Good scope? Timeline? wikified? red links < 10? all red links fixed? referenced? Illustrated? Googled and added info? Checked 9/11 records archives? Checked Wikinews? Checked Wikisource?
|This article needs better categories. Please help out by fixing categories to it so that it can be listed with similar articles.|
| This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please add citations to reliable sources. (September 2009)
|This article's introduction section may not adequately summarize its contents. To comply with Wikipedia's lead section guidelines, please consider expanding the lead to provide an accessible overview of the article's key points. (September 2009)|
Background History Edit
- 1972: One World Trade Center completed.
- 1973: Two World Trade Center completed.
- c. 1981 – 1989: Osama bin Laden finds Al-Qaida.
- 1993: World Trade Center bombing.
- 1995: Operation Bojinka is discovered by Manila police on a laptop computer in an apartment after a fire.
- 1996: The Taliban, a radical Islamic movement, takes control of Afghanistan.
- 1998: The 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania occur.
- 1999: Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacked. One passenger dies while the others are released.
- 2000: The USS Cole is bombed in Yemen.
- 1992 - Mohamed Atta arrives in Germany.
- 1994 - Planning on Operation Bojinka begins in the Philippines.
- 1995 - Operation Bojinka foiled, Said Bahaji and Ramzi Binalshibh arrive in Germany.
- 1996 - Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah arrive in Germany.
- 1997 - Zakariyah Essabar arrives in Germany.
- 1998 - Recruitment of terrorists in Germany starts.
- 1999 - Hamburg cell is fully formed.
- 2000 - 2000 al-Qaeda Summit in Malaysia, pilots head to the United States and train in flying schools.
September 11, 2001 timeline for the day of the attacksEdit
- Main article: September 11, 2001 timeline for the day of the attacks
All times are in local time (EDT or UTC - 4).
- 7:59 AM: Mohamed Atta boards AA Flight 11 which under his control will crash into the World Trade Center.
- 8:18 AM: AA Flight 11 is taken over by Mohamed Atta and other hijackers.
- 8:46 AM: American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into the World Trade Center north tower between the 93rd and 99th floors.
- 9:03 AM: United Airlines Flight 175 crashes into the World Trade Center south tower between the 77th and 85th floors.
- 9:37 AM: American Airlines Flight 77 crashes into The Pentagon.
- 9:59 AM: South Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- 10:03 AM: United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
- 10:28 AM: North Tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- Main article: September 11, 2001 attacks timeline for October
- October 1: Rudy Giuliani speaks to the United Nations General Assembly.
- October 7: U.S. Attack on Afghanistan commences.
Beyond October Edit
- Main article: September 11, 2001 attacks timeline beyond October
- March 2002: The Tribute in Light project begins.
- September 2002: First anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks are held throughout the world, particularly the USA.
- "Complete 911 Timeline" - Provided by the Center for Cooperative Research.
- "White House whitewashers" (written 27 September 2001)
- "Attacks prompt widespread closings" (written 11 September 2001)
- Barter, Sheila, "How the World Trade Center fell". BBC